Since real estate investing encompasses so many types of investment properties, its essential to classify them and pick the one which they are most passionate about. This would greatly enhance the probability of being successful in real estate investing.
The following are the main types of real estate investment properties that are suitable for beginner investors:
- Preconstruction Investment Property: These types of investment properties are acquired directly from a developer before the construction or renovation is completed. In return for commitment to buy even before the construction is completed the developer will give you a price discount and/or other financial incentives.
- Fixer Upper Investment Property: These types of investment properties are the ones which are in ugly condition and need renovation. These properties are acquired by real estate investors to flip them after fixing-up. In majority of the cases these properties are in foreclosure, or are bank owned properties (called REO which stands for Real Estate Owned). Some beginner investors also wholesale distressed properties to other investors without fixing them up. Real Estate Investors who wholesale make a smaller profit but are able to exit the deal fast and with low risk.
- Foreclosure Investment Property: These types of investment properties are the ones which you buy from sellers who are behind in their payments and may lose their property to the bank via foreclosure.
- Income or Cashflow Investment Property: These types of investment properties are the ones which generate rental income for the real estate investor. These are mainly apartments buildings and rental houses. This type of investment property is sometimes also called Income property, Rental Investment property or Cash Flow Property.
- Investment Property with Flexible Terms: These types of investment properties are the ones which can be bought with no money down or with very little money down. Seller of such properties are very flexible with their contract terms and are willing to make the sale easy for the buyer. Land Contract (also called Contract for Deed), Owner Financing, Lease Option (also called Rent to Own, Lease Purchase, Lease to Own, Lease to Buy etc) and other similar strategies fall under this category.
Most other types of real estate investment property deals are not suited for beginner investors. They are too risky or too complicated for beginners. My recommendation is to choose the type of deals beginners want to do and become very good at it. Master all the steps from finding the deal to exiting it, and become the best. If starters can follow this simple principle I definitely see them more likely to be successful in real estate investing.
For more information about investment property visit us at Beach Sea Pty Ltd today.